Do you know your gas safety responsibilities and duty of care to protect your tenants?
As a landlord you should be aware that you are solely responsible for the safety of your tenants. Your legal duties apply to a wide range of accommodation occupied under a lease or licence, including (but not limited to):
- Residential premises provided for rent by local authorities, housing associations, private sector landlords, co-operatives, hostels
- Rooms, let in bed-sit accommodation, private households, bed and breakfast accommodation and hotels
The Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998 outline the duties of landlords to ensure gas appliances, fittings & chimneys/flues provided for tenants are safe.
If you let a property equipped with gas appliances, you have three main responsibilities:
- Maintenance: pipework, appliances and chimney/flues need to be maintained safely. Gas appliances should be serviced in accordance with the frequency given in the manufacturer’s instructions. If these are not available, you should ask a Gas Safe registered engineer to service them annually
- Gas safety checks: An annual gas safety check should be carried out on each gas appliance/flue. This will ensure gas appliances and fittings are safe to use. There is a legal requirement on you to have all gas appliances safety checked by a registered engineer annually and you also need to maintain gas pipework and flues in a safe condition. This is UK law
- At Stagg Plumbing and Heating we offer a wide range of services to assist landlords and to protect themselves and tenants.Annual Boiler Services £75.00 + VAT
- Annual Boiler Services and Gas Safety Certificate £110.00 + VAT*
*This price is based on 1 gas appliance, all other appliances will be chargeable at £25.00 per appliance.
If you would like more information on our services then please do not hesitate to contact us on 01438 712 712 or email@example.com